Browse Items (658 total)

In the 1840s the minister of Forgan, Charles Nairn, supported the construction of a new parish church, located on the main road between Leuchars and…

Forgan Parish Church and its location near the road and the local smithy. Ordnance Survey Map of Fife, 1855

A chapel was recorded at Naughton in the twelfth century. It was linked to the medieval parish of Forgan. Both Forgan and the Chapel of Naughton were…

Joan Blaeu’s map of Fife with detail of Naughton or ‘Nachton’

West Hall in Wormit was built in the 1890s as a mission hall for the Church of Scotland. The building was designed by Major Thomas Cappon, who also…

Trinity Church was established in the 1880s for the Newport-on-Tay United Presbyterian congregation. The church building was designed by the…

During the late Middle Ages the Chapel of St Thomas of Seamylnes was located near the coast in the Newport-on-Tay area. In the 1440s the local ferry…

St Mary’s Church was built in the 1880s by Newport’s growing Episcopalian community. The building was designed in a Gothic style by Major Thomas…

St Fillan’s Roman Catholic Church in Newport-on-Tay is a rare surviving example of a so-called ‘tin tabernacle’ – in other words a church built out of…

During the nineteenth century the population of Newport-on-Tay grew significantly. In the 1860s a campaign developed for a parish church in Newport,…

A Congregational church was established in Newport-on-Tay in 1801. In the 1860s a substantial Gothic style church was built for the congregation at…

There is a church recorded at Forgan in the twelfth century. The old parish church at Forgan was appropriated to St Andrews Cathedral Priory for much…

During the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries the bishops of St Andrews had a residence at Inchmurdo. This has been tentatively identified as being…

The old doocot at Kenly. The bishop’s palace may have been nearby. Photo by Hamish Brown. (H. Brown / University of St Andrews)

During the early 2020s the Church of Scotland congregation at St Monans made the decision to worship at their church hall, rather than using the…

St Monans Parish Church Hall, 2023. (B. Rhodes)

Gospel Hall in St Monans was built in the 1950s. However, the evangelical congregation that worship at Gospel Hall have had a presence in St Monans…

Gospel Hall, St Monans, 2023. (B. Rhodes)

Braehead Church was built in the 1870s. It originally housed a Free Church Congregation. Following the union of the United Free Church and the Church…

Braehead Church, 2023. (B. Rhodes)

The former parish church of Abercrombie is first recorded around 1160. During the Middle Ages both Dunfermline Abbey and Culross Abbey had rights…

St Monans and Abercrombie [Abircroy] on J. Blaeu’s map of Eastern Fife, 1654. (National Library of Scotland)

There has been Christian activity at Kilrenny since Pictish times, and it is likely that there was an early medieval church on or near the site of the…

St Saviour’s Episcopal Church stood on the main road through Guardbridge. It was built around 1900 and was designed by C.F. Anderson. The church…

It is thought that a medieval chapel, possibly dedicated to St Bonach, once stood not far from the current site of Leuchars Parish Church. The chapel…

During the First World War the Royal Flying Corps established a presence at Leuchars. This subsequently became an RAF station. A military chapel…

For much of the nineteenth century there was no church in Guardbridge. However, in the 1880s the United Presbyterians established a church on the main…

In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries there was a Burgher Chapel located on the north side of Balmullo, near what is now Smithy Lane. The…

During the eighteenth century there was an Anti-Burgher congregation in Balmullo. The Anti-Burghers were one of a number of Protestant dissenting…

Braehead church, 2023.

St Monans and Abercrombie [Abircroy] on J. Blaeu’s map of Eastern Fife, 1654.

Kingsbarns Parish Church, 2023.

There was formerly a United Presbyterian Church on Castle Street. The church building is clearly marked on the 1850s Ordnance Survey map of Fife. The…

Site of the United Presbyterian Church on the 1855 Ordnance Survey map of Fife.

Our Lady Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church

Ferryport-on-Craig is the old name for Tayport – the name changed in the nineteenth century under influence from the railways. During the Middle Ages…

Tayport Auld Kirk

There appears to have been a church at Newburn as early as the twelfth century, and perhaps some time before that. For much of the Middle Ages the…

The ruins of Newburn Old Parish Church.

Newburn Parish Church was built around 1815, replacing a nearby medieval church. It was designed by the Largo architect Alexander Leslie. The New…

Newburn Parish Church was built around 1815, replacing a nearby medieval church. It was designed by the Largo architect Alexander Leslie. The New…

The converted parish church at Newburn.

It has been suggested that there was a Culdee chapel at Balchrystie. The Old Statistical Account (compiled in the 1790s), claims that there were…

Balchrysty and its surroundings on the eighteenth-century Roy Military Survey.

During the twelfth century there was a parish church at Coultra. However, this appears to have been abandoned in the thirteenth century when the…

A Free Church congregation was established at Gauldry in the 1840s. The site of the church is clearly marked on the first edition of the Ordnance…

Current use: residential.

Current use: Residential.

Strathkinness Parish Church was built in the 1860s. The building underwent major repairs in the 1930s, following the union between the village’s…

A Free Church congregation was established at Strathkinness in the 1840s during the Great Disruption. In the 1860s they built a church on Main Street…

Boarhills Church was founded in the 1860s. The building was designed by George Rae. When the church was being constructed several stone cists were…

The chapel at Drumoig Vicarsford Cemetery is a remarkably fine Victorian Gothic structure, inspired by the design of Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. It was…

The origins of the United Free Church on King Street go back into the nineteenth century. Work began on a church on this site in the 1840s, although…

Tayport Episcopal Church was established in the 1890s. The church is dedicated to St Margaret of Scotland and was designed by Major Thomas Martin…

The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea opened in 1939. The building was designed by the notable architect Reginald Fairlie – a comitted…

Tayport Parish Church on Queen Street was built in the 1840s for a Free Church congregation. It has an impressive Victorian Gothic frontage. Following…

Converted to residential.

Permanently closed/derelict.

Current use: residential.

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2